Essential Oils used to be associated with spas and healthcare businesses but they have widely been used in most homes now. They carry the essence of the plant and are quickly absorbed by our smell receptors. These oils are commonly used in aromatherapy, in which they’re inhaled using various methods. However, they’re not meant to be swallowed.
It is also said that moderate exposure to essential oils can be healthy for the body but prolonged exposure can result in various problems. Therefore, it is important to be mindful when using essential oils.
Benefits of Essential Oils
- They help you to sleep better
- They help in reducing anxiety
- They can help in uplifting your mood
- They can help in boosting energy
- They might help in reducing headache
Potential side-effects of Essential Oils
- Citrus based essential oils can lead to sun burns
- Some essential oils are toxic to nervous system and liver such as tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil
- Some essential oils, like mugwort, pennyroyal, and wormwood, can cause your uterus to contract, so you should avoid using them during pregnancy
Some of the popular essential oils are:
- Lavender : Reduces anxiety, stress and aids in better sleep
- Peppermint : Reduces fatigue, boosts energy and memory
- Sandalwood : Used to calm nerves, improves depressive symptoms and helps with focus
- Bergamot : Boosts mood, reduces stress, improves skin conditions like eczema
- Chamomile : Relaxes the mind, calms the nerves and aids in better sleep
- Ylang-Ylang : Treats headaches, nausea, improves skin conditions and inflammations
- Lemon : Improves mood, digestion and gives relief from headache
- Tea tree : Used to fight infections and boosts immunity
- Jasmine : Boosts mood, helps with depression, childbirth and libido
- Clary Sage : Reduces blood pressure
- Eucalyptus : Reduces mucus, promotes mental clarity and soothes headache
- Rosemary : Reduces fatigue, helps boost energy and enhances brain power
I’m currently using Millefiori Natural Sandalo Bergamotto scented oil that gives my home a pleasant fragrance and create a harmonious, cozy space. I also add a few drops of this oil inside the toilet roll so a subtle woody fragrance can fill my bathroom.
Essential Oils can be inhaled directly or can be diluted for use. If applied on to the skin, they get absorbed and can have medicinal effects on the body. Essential oils may stimulate your sense of smell.
Do you use essential oils? Let me know in the comments below. Until next time, Ashh xo
*Sponsored post. Opinions are my own and unbiased.